Sunday, May 24, 2009

Are you prejudiced?

Great day at Foothills today! We answered the question, What About interracial Relationships?, but then we talked about the real issue---prejudice.

The definition of prejudice is forming an opinion or judgment about someone before the facts are known. It's very easy to judge a book by its cover. I'm so glad that God doesn't look at our exterior, but looks at the heart!

As I spoke about prejudice I think most people were thinking, "this is a good message for SOMEONE ELSE", but when I asked some personal questions about how people really felt, things got really quiet!

Here are a few of the questions I asked:

How do you feel when you see a bi-racial couple?
How do you feel when you hear a Northern accent?
How do you feel when you hear a Southern accent?
How would you feel if you heard that an hispanic family was moving in next door?
Have you ever used the phrase, Why don't those people just go back to where they came from?
Then I asked some questions about stereotyping.

Long story short, ALL of us struggle with prejudice to some degree. The Bible teaches that prejudice is sin, so we've got some work to do.

Today's message created what I call some "uncomfortable tension"---but that's really good sometimes.

Yes, I also admitted that I have been prejudiced against Nascar! (I still don't get that sport)

I'll be answering the question, Are We Living In the end Times? next Sunday. That's going to be fun!

No comments: