Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Why I'm Taking a Break From Facebook

As we move toward a new year I am making a few changes. Here is my first one: I am officially taking a break from Facebook. I thought I would share a couple of reasons why I have decided to do this. Since I am a Pastor I thought I would alliterate :-).

DISTRACTION. In many ways I have found that Facebook can be a bit of a distraction. Having to check your status or make updates throughout the day is not a wise use of my time.

DRAMA. I have found that 80% of the people on Facebook are pretty normal people, but the other 20% wear me out. It seems like they go from one crisis to another. (I shared a post about this a while back)

DISSENSION. A very troubling trend I am seeing on Facebook is the number of people airing their personal disputes on a public forum. Many people say damaging things about their spouses, their friends, their churches, etc. Matthew 18 tells us that if you have a problem with someone, you are to go directly to them and settle it privately. By expressing your disagreements publicly it causes dissension.



I am not suggesting that anyone else needs to take a break from Facebook, but this is what I am doing. I may take a break for a month, or a year, I really don't know.
In the meantime I will continue to use my Twitter account (gregoraham), and I will probably blog once a week or so (gregoraham.blogspot.com).

I love you all!

No comments: