Thursday, June 18, 2009

mentoring part 2

I just got back from my leadership lunch with 8 of our 20-30 year old staff members, and I had a blast. These guys are sharp. They want to serve God at the highest level possible---you've gotta love that!

The big question that seemed to continually be asked in one form or another was, "how do I find some sort of balance between my ministry and my family life?" That is a great question. Here's how I answered it:

First of all, I'm not sure there will ever be balance. Ministry is a unique calling, so there is a tendency for it to overlap. It's really not something you can compartmentalize, BUT you have to be able to understand that your life is more than your ministry calling, so your priorities have to reflect that.

For instance your priorities should look something like this: 1)Jesus 2)My wife 3)My children/grandchildren 4)other family and friends 5)My ministry

First and foremost, I need to be known as Greg Oraham, the Christ-follower, not Greg Oraham, the Pastor. Our titles should not define us, our faith should!

When Christ has His rightful place in my life, the other areas tend to work out pretty good. That's pretty much what Jesus said in Matt. 6:33, "Seek the kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and He will give you everything you need."

What do your priorities look like? This Sunday we will begin our new message series called, Unstoppable. This week's message is called, Unstoppable Priorities. Hope to see you there.

No comments: