Thursday, March 27, 2008

Lessons I've learned over the last 10 years

If you are attending a church that has a white-hot passion to reach the community for Christ you need to never lose focus.
One of the things that I have learned after 10 years is that no matter how much you teach the Vision and mission of the church, you can't over teach on that topic. When you feel like you've taught on it enough, teach on it again! Sometimes I feel like a broken record when it comes to what we're about as a church, but the reality is that vision leaks.I am amazed how quickly people can forget the vision and turn inward. Even people who have been with you for years.
When you start hearing people saying things like, "I don't really like the music style", or "I think the volume is too loud", or "I want to be fed more", or "it's too much trouble trying to find a parking spot/seat", or "I think we need to start focusing on taking care of the ones we've already reached instead of always trying to reach more", or " This church is getting too big,I liked it better when I knew everyone" These are all telltale signs that there is some vision leakage.
In case you didn't notice, all of those things have a common denominator--"I". The reality is that Jesus was never about what made Himself comfortable, He was about making whatever sacrifice necessary to reach the world.
I have said a million times that the Church is not a country club. A country club exists for the sake of its members, but a Church exists for the sake of the people in the community. Every church in America that is effectively reaching their communities are doing so by being willing to set aside their own desires for the sake of the people who don't know Christ already
As a Lead Pastor I would say clearly casting a compelling vision may be the most important thing I do! I have never apologized for our vision, and I never will. It is a vision from God.
As I look back over the last decade I see God's hand leading us every step of the way. As we enter the second decade I feel like the African Pastor who wrote this letter which was found the day after he died as a martyr for his faith:

I'm part of the fellowship of the unashamed. I have Holy Spirit power. The die has been cast. I have stepped over the line. The decision has been made. I'm a disciple of His. I won't look back, let up, slow down, back away, or be still.

My past is redeemed, my present makes sense, my future is secure. I'm finished with low living, sight walking, small planning, smooth knees, colorless dreams, tamed visions, mundane talking, cheap living, and dwarfed goals.

I no longer need pre-eminence, prosperity, position, promotions, plaudits, or popularity. I don't have to be right, first, tops, recognized, praised, regarded, or rewarded. I now live by faith, lean on His presence, walk by patience, lift by prayer, and labor by power.

My face is set, my gait is fast, my goal is heaven, my road is narrow, my way rough, my companions few, my guide reliable, my mission clear. I cannot be bought, compromised, detoured, lured away, turned back, deluded or delayed. I will not flinch in the face of sacrifice, hesitate in the presence of the adversary, negotiate at the table of the enemy, ponder at the pool of popularity, or meander in the maze of mediocrity.

I won't give up, shut up, let up, until I have stayed up, stored up, prayed up, paid up, preached up for the cause of Christ. I am a disciple of Jesus. I must go till He comes, give till I drop, preach till all know, and work till He stops me. And when He comes for His own, He will have no problems recognizing me - my banner will be clear!

No comments: