Thursday, March 06, 2008

Leadership qualities 2

The second leadership quality that I wanted to tackle is loyalty.
You may be thinking, wait a minute, loyalty is what you look for in a follower but not necessary for a leader. WRONG!
If a leader is not totally loyal to God, his spouse, his family, his convictions, his staff, his organization, and his people he will not make a good leader.
Let's face it all leaders expect their staff to be loyal to them. I expect my staff to defend me if someone is being critical of me. It only makes sense that they know that I will do the same for them. If someone speaks poorly of people that I care about, I won't tolerate it.
When a leader is loyal to the organization he represents, he always puts the organization ahead of his own desires.
For a Biblical example of loyalty I think of Joshua. He was Moses right hand man for many years. Never did he try to posture himself to become the leader of Israel. Never did he try to make Moses look bad in front of the people. He was loyal to God and his convictions. It is no wonder that when Moses died that God chose Joshua to succeed him.
How loyal are you?

No comments: