Thursday, August 13, 2009

a few thoughts

Recently I started reading a book by Jim Cymbala (Pastor of Brooklyn Tabernacle) called Fresh Power. All I can say is Wow!

I've had this book for a couple of years, and I think I have already read it, but there have been some fresh takeaways for me.

I thought I would share a few quotes from the book that have stood out to me.
(disclaimer: I do not agree with everything that Jim Cymbala teaches, but this is some good stuff)

* Audiences are best gathered by the unexplainable work of the Holy Spirit.

* If you can fully explain a church, then something's wrong. (Warren Wiersbe)

* HE (God) wants the church to be a place of awe and wonder--two qualities that we have largely lost in our meetings

* The preacher must have the power given by direct connection with God..... God does not mix His power with other solutions to give it efficiency. It is not some or much of the Holy Ghost mixed with some or much of other ingredients. (E.M. Bounds)

* An anointed pulpit is the mightiest agency that God has in this world. (E.M. Bounds)

* A decade of gadgets and gimmicks will never accomplish what God, the Holy Spirit can do in one month as He works in the life of a church.

* Revival comes when people get dissatisfied with what is and yearn deeply for what could be.

* If God were to take the Holy Spirit out of this world, most of what the church is doing would go right on, and nobody would know the difference. (A.W. Tozer)

No comments: