Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Little things mean a lot

I have always said that the difference between a good church service and a great service is the details.
I am fortunate to work around people who spend time on the details.
I was speaking with Eric Peters, our worship leader for our 9:30am service (we have 2 worship leaders at our Seneca campus--Eric Peters and David Odom, who leads during the 11:15am service), anyway Eric was telling me that the vocalists practiced for over 6 hours on just one song for last week's service. It was the Beatles song, Love Is All you Need (I'm not a musician, but apparently that song is pretty tricky). Think about that. 6 hours on a song that lasted about 3 minutes. Some people may think that that is a waste, but not me. I believe that excellence matters, and that God deserves our best--period!

Now while it is true that a Beatles song may not have huge spiritual implications, it is also true that a person who is unchurched coming in and hearing a familiar tune played with excellence is more likely to listen to the rest of the service.

What little things could you do to improve your services?

No comments: