Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Goals--Leadership Development

I have an honest confession. I love to set goals. I don't know when it started, but as far back as I can remember, I have been doing it.

I'm sure we've all heard that when you set a goal, you should write it down. It should be measurable and it should have a deadline.


I have been thinking lately about some of the goals that I want to set for 2009. Under the category of Leadership Development, one of the things that I am going to do is to set more time aside to develop young leaders. I have asked 4 of our younger staff members to join me once a month for a time of leadership development and mentoring. I am really looking forward to that.

I also know a couple of younger church planters that I hope to be able to pour myself into in 2009.

Along those same lines, I hope to be able to be a part of another leadership round table discussion group in 2009. I have been in one for the last several months and it has stretched me as a leader. I want to be exposed to as many great leaders as possible. I will also attend leadership conferences as well.

I have always been a reader, yet in 2008 I have not spent nearly enough time reading as usual, so in 2009 I will set a goal of reading a certain number of books to hone my leadership abilities.

I will make a concentrated effort to put myself in a position to grow as a leader so that as our Church continues to grow that I will not be a bottleneck to our potential.

Obviously some of this I have not finished working through but that is a rough draft of the type things I will be doing in 2009.

What goals have you set?

No comments: