Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The goal of a church service

This may not seem like a very spiritual question, but what is the goal of your church service? I have found that most churches really don't know the answer to that question.

Over the years I think my answer probably has changed somewhat, but I believe that basically the goal of a church service is to lift up Christ so much that people genuinely encounter God.

The goal is not to entertain (although sometimes it is very entertaining). The goal is not to just gather corporately to catch up with people you haven't seen in a week (although that happens). The goal is not to become a spectator of a performance, where the people on stage become the players and the congregation becomes the audience.

The goal is to engage. To connect with a holy God. To offer praise. To be challenged.

When we sit in our creative meetings we try to think through the elements of a service. We want to be sensitive to what God wants to do during that service. We purposely try to help people connect the spiritual dots. We want to design services where people have an opportunity to engage, and interact.

I really feel that 2008 has been one of the most spiritually enriching years our church has ever had. As I reflect on some of those services, it gets me fired up! Every service we do, I truly believe that God is going to show up and change lives----and He always does.

I am so thankful to all of the people who are part of Foothills Community Church!

No comments: