Thursday, September 13, 2007

try something new

For many people, change is scary. Change takes us out of our comfort zones and challenges us to try things that are new. For many people that is more than they can handle. If it weren't for change we would still be riding in covered wagons, and rubbing 2 sticks together to build a fire to cook our dinner. Our willingness to be flexible is needed to follow God.
I have been learning the challenges of change recently. I have been hunting with a bow for over 25 years. For the last 12 years I have been shooting a Long Bow (which is what the Native Americans used---basically it is a stick and a string). This year I have gone back to a compound bow (which is a modern bow with cables and pulleys and sights, etc) The big change though, is that this year for the first time ever I will be shooting left-handed. I am right-handed, so this has presented a host of difficulties. It is a challenging change, but I have been able to adapt. And I am pretty confident if a deer gets within 25 yards of me, I can make the shot.
Has this been easy? No. It has been pretty difficult, but I believe it will pay off. (I'll let you know)
In a church setting there is often change. Change is not something we should fear, but rather something that we should embrace. no matter how difficult!
I am thankful at Foothills we have a culture of change. Over the years there have been tons of changes, and there will be many more!

No comments: