Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Creative team retreat

This week we had a mini-retreat for our creative team. It was great getting together and spending time with them. There is so much that goes into trying to create engaging services. When I left the meeting, I was drained.
In this meeting we were able to finalize sermon series ideas for the next 6 months. There are a few details that we will still need to nail down, but overall it was very productive. It feels so good to get ahead.
Let me try to explain why these meetings are so important. First of all, it gives the entire service a theme. I have been to church services that seemed obvious that there was no communication between the person leading the worship and the person delivering the message. The stage didn't reflect any particular theme, nor did the bulletins. Basically it was left up to the person sitting in the congregation to try to connect the pieces. I'm sure most people would leave the service with more questions than answers.
By spending the time to sit down with a team of people and hashing out creative elements to the service, it helps take the person in the congreagtaion on a journey that has some common thread. This allows them to stay engaged during the whole service.
I can't wait to share these new series, but I can't let the cat out of the bag. Just make sure you don't miss a Sunday!

No comments: