Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Leadership

Had a chance to talk to my new friend JR Lee this morning. We are in Pastor's Coaching network together, but had not had a chance to really talk. Anyway JR and his team are making a huge impact in Acworth, Ga.
JR asked me a question about the "weight" of leadership that Lead Pastors carry. It got me thinking. There are certain things that only a Lead Pastor will be able to understand about how heavy the weight of leadership can become. There is the weight of caring for an entire congregation. The weight of responsibility of leading well. The weight of knowing that there are people whose eternities hang in the balance every week, (and you might be the last person who speaks to them about Christ) There is the weight of having to prepare a message every week. There is the weight of financial decisions that have to be made. The weight of leading a staff and the weight of trying to balance your job and family. At times it can feel overwhelming!
For the people who say, "I wonder what the Pastor does for the rest of the week?), all I can say is, you have no clue! There is no way you could unless you were the lead Pastor. (By the way, I'm not complaining -- it is what it is)
Here's the key: We aren't supposed to carry that weight by ourselves. Jesus invited us to offload that weight to Him.

I know there are many Pastors who read this blog. Let me encourage you to let Him carry some of that leadership weight!

No comments: