Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Leadership lessons from my Dad

I am very fortunate to have grown up in a home where I was always loved unconditionally and encouraged to pursue my dream. My parents are incredible people. My dad is a great leader, and there is much that I have learned from watching him. I thought I would highlight a few leadership lessons I learned from him in a couple of posts.
The first lesson I learned is that truly great leaders are people of character. Character is not something you can go to school to take a course on, or read a book about. True character is something that is at the core of who a person is.
One of the things that stood out to me growing up was hearing my Father's friends and customers always saying "Your Father is a great man." I can verify that. I have always seen my dad go the extra mile to do the right thing. He is a second generation jeweler that has been self-employed for as long as I can remember (he's sort of semi-retired now). I remember sitting at his store when I was a kid and watching customers come in and watching his interactions with them. His customers were more like friends.
I remember times when someone would come into his store and want him to make a small repair on a piece of jewelery (that they bought somewhere else), and when he was done fixing it, he would say, 'there's no charge." I would ask him, "how come you didn't charge them?", and he would say, "it was an easy repair, and who knows, maybe the next time they need some jewelery they'll come back."
He wasn't about the bottom-line, and that's pretty unusual these days. to him your reputation was much more important.
As a leader, does your life reflect character? Are you honest? Is your life above reproach?, or are you taking some shortcuts?

No comments: