Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Leadership lessons from my Dad (part 2)

Another lesson I learned from my Dad was to always find a job that you love. He taught me that life is too short to be in a job that you don't enjoy.
I have met so many people who have a career that they absolutely hate, but because of financial obligations they feel like they have to continue. So day after day and year after year they punch the clock hoping that they can hit the lottery or retire---anything to get out of their job.
The problem that most people have when it comes to choosing a job, is that they ask all the wrong questions. They ask, "how much does it pay?" (which is a legitimate question, but it shouldn't be the first question). If the job pays well, they take the job.
What are the hours? How much time off do I get? What are the benefits? Again, these are all good questions, but they're not the BEST questions. The best question is, "Is this something that I will look forward to waking up and doing for the rest of my life?" Because if you don't like what you do---there is not enough money in the world to make it worthwhile.
You might be thinking,"how do I find the right kind of job?" First ask yourself, "what do I enjoy doing?" "What am I gifted to do?" "What abilities do I possess?"
If you're stuck in a dead-end job, but you feel trapped because of financial commitments why not start trying to scale back on some things to put yourself in the position to make a career move. It might take a couple of years, but in the long run it will be worth it!

No comments: