Thursday, July 22, 2010

vision test

Tomorrow morning I am scheduled to go for my annual eye exam. I know what to expect, I've done it before. They'll do a series of tests (including the dreaded puff of air in your eyeball!), and then he'll suggest any improvements that can be made.

For the first 40 or so years of my life, my eyes were stellar, no problems reading at any distance or any font size. These days, not so much so. I have to wear glasses to read my Bible or the newspaper.

Here's what most eye doctors will tell you: the older you are, the more your vision tends to get out of focus.

The same is true for churches. The longer a church has been in existence, the more the vision tends to get out of focus. Foothills Community Church began 12 1/2 years ago. In the early days when we were meeting in my living room, or in the high school, everyone seemed to know the vision. It was crystal clear. The numbers of people attending were smaller, and it was just a given that Foothills was all about helping people find and follow Jesus.

12 years later, as we have grown, a large amount of my energy as a leader is poured into helping people stay clear on that vision-- helping people find and follow Jesus. And if you think about it, is there anything else that even comes close to that in its importance to our church.... or our lives?

For 12 years we have held to that vision and we will continue to do so. We have been mandated by Jesus Himself in the great commission to go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, and to teach these disciples to obey everything he has has commanded.

You may ask, "is it paying off?" My answer is ABSOLUTELY. We have seen hundreds of people saved, baptized , transformed and connected into the life of the church. That's the power of vision!

No comments: