Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Sunday review

We had a great day at Foothills this past Sunday.
I was there, but didn't preach, so that was different.

Brian Rhodes, one of our High school Pastor filled in and did a great job. He is really developing as a speaker. I have never used many speakers from outside of our church, because I think it is very healthy for a church to hear from some of the other Pastors once in a while. I also believe that another benefit is that it gives some experience to some of the younger people.

I take very seriously the honor of preaching and I convey to anyone who steps on the stage to bring the message, that they need to do the same.

Right now I am working with our middle school Pastor, Tim Wadsworth for a message he will be doing this summer. He speaks to our students, but has never had the opportunity to speak in front of the entire congregation. If you were to ask him, he would tell you that there are a million hoops that I have him jumping through right now in preparation for that Sunday. I want to set him up for success, so I am challenging him on many levels.

My goal is to speak around 40 Sundays per year. Taking a Sunday off now and then or a couple of Sundays in a row helps keep me sane and creative. It also allows me to work farther ahead, and as I mentioned before, it is good for our congregation to hear from other people.

My goal is for the congregation to not be dependent on me. I have seen many churches built around the personality of the Pastor. I pray that would never be the case at Foothills Community Church.

By the way, I will be continuing the Walk This Way series this Sunday. If you know someone that is not a Christ-follower, get them here this Sunday!!

No comments: