Wednesday, October 14, 2009

A showdown with a skunk


I went hunting this past Sunday afternoon. As I was walking back to my truck after dark, I saw a pair of green eyes ahead of me. I wasn't sure what kind of animal was watching me, so I stopped, but it kept watching me at a distance of about 15 yards. Finally it moved on.
As I walked a few more yards, the green eyes were ahead of me. I tried to make as much noise a s possible, so it would move on and allow me to pass, but it wouldn't move.

I still couldn't tell what it was, and by now, all kind of things are running through my mind, and I'm getting a little nervous. What kind of ferocious beast is stalking me? I took off my backpack and found my bright flashlight and shined it on the animal and then I saw what had been watching me---a skunk!

I had a bit of a problem. The skunk was blocking the trail. I really couldn't go the left or the right because of the briers. I picked up a rock and threw it at him, but it only made him mad. He had his tail sticking straight up and was ready to spray me if I came any closer. I threw another rock, but this time he sort of charged me. Believe me, I was backing up pretty quick. Finally after what seemed like 20 minutes of this stand-off, It decided to move on, so I made a dash and got as far away from him as I could.

As I thought about that, it occurred to me that in life we face many obstacles. There are many things that get in the way of where I want to go and who I want to become. Unfortunately many times instead of charging through the obstacles, I allow my fears to hold me back.

What is God wanting to do in your life, but you are being deterred by something? Instead of backing up, why not try blazing a trail? Is there risk? sure there is. Could you get a little dirty in the process? you bet! But I can tell you from experience, once you face those challenges, there never quite as big and bad as you thought they were!

No comments: