Monday, October 19, 2009

If I could do it over again

I have a lot of church planters ask me, If you could start over again, what would you do differently?

Well, here are a couple of things that I would do differently:


1. I would begin with a larger core group.

We started with 17 people meeting in my living room, but if I were doing it again I would try to build a core of around 50 people or more.

Statistics show that churches that begin with a core of less than 50, rarely ever get beyond 200 in attendance. I suppose we were very fortunate that the 17 people that helped start Foothills Community Church were unbelievably committed to reaching this community, so we defied the odds.


2. I would put more emphasis on music.

In our early days we underestimated the importance of quality music. We did the best we could, but overall it wasn't too good.

If you are a church planter, don't skimp when it comes to the music. It is basically half of your service, so do what you can to find the best worship leader possible.


3. I would be slower about selecting leaders.

In the early days of a church plant there is such a huge need for leaders, that sometimes we can move too quickly and fast-track people to leadership positions that can burn you later. I can tell you from first-hand experience, you do not need people in your leadership who don't truly buy into the vision (even though they say they do)


4. I would trust God more.

This sounds like a no-brainer, but sometimes as a church planter you live with this continual pressure to grow the church. Almost every church planter that I know struggles with the emotional roller coaster of attendance. When the attendance is good--- you like life. But when you have a low attendance week--- you think the sky is falling. It's not!
Over the years I have come to understand better, that it's not MY church, it's HIS! He is perfectly capable of building His church. My job is to just be faithful.

5. I would enjoy the journey more.

Visionary leaders generally struggle with enjoying the moment, because they are always thinking about the future. When you're a portable church, you are always thinking of how nice it will be to have your own facility. When you have no staff, you you're always thinking about the day you have a full staff. I can tell you, that some of the most incredible days of a church are those early days, when you are totally dependent on God. In the early days, it's such an adventure, heck, you're not even sure anyone will even show up from one week to the next. Enjoy the moment!

6. Money is overrated.

Too many church planters are convincing themselves that the reason they're not growing is because they don't have money (or buildings, or all the bells and whistles)

Go back and read the first couple of chapter of Acts. Read Peter's sermon. No building, no lights or sound no fog machines, no big budgets, or guitar solos. There was nothing slick about it, but three thousand people were saved. Why? Because of the Holy Spirit working through a servant that was sold-out to Jesus.

That's it for now. I may think of a few more to share another time.

By the way, if you are a church planter or Pastor of a church with less than 500 people, why not consider being part of The Strategic Pastor coaching network.

No comments: