Wednesday, October 07, 2009

phrases that get under my skin

I mentioned this past Sunday during my message, that I had a pet peeve about people who use the phrase: "I used to go to _______ Church, but I don't go there anymore because I wasn't being fed."

I came up with a few more that I hear occasionally that make me laugh:
I have also included some responses---So Please excuse my obvious sarcasm :)


** "You're not DEEP ENOUGH" (another variation is "they're a mile wide and an inch deep") (This one doesn't deserve an answer!)

** "At my old church we used to do_______" (Come on, If your old church was so great, why did you leave?)

** "We've never done it that way before." (Which is precisely why we're doing it now!)

** "I don't know everyone anymore" (Neither do I. The object is not to know everyone, it's to reach more people for Christ)

** "Why don't we have ______ ? (you can fill in the blank with just about any ministry... Awanas, Choir, Sunday School, etc.) (Some of these things are incredible ministries, but we have made the decision to simplify things and put our efforts into the things that absolutely essential to accomplish our mission)

** "You always talk about money". (ahh, no I don't)

** "You're a Pastor?, so what do you do the rest of the week?" (golf, fish, hunt :) )

** "A Pastor should preach in a suit, not jeans." (Isaiah preached in the buff (Isa. 20:2-3)---so maybe jeans aren't so bad after all)

** "Can we have a southern gospel night?" (ummm, NO!)

** "Pastor Greg, are you always this sarcastic?" (No, I'm just feeling a bit frisky today!)

Have a great day!!

No comments: