Tuesday, November 06, 2007

God's protection

My youngest son Cole recently got his learners permit driver's license. After I picked him up from wrestling practice the other day, he wanted to drive so I went to the passenger side and he took the wheel.
In his brief time of driving I have tried to express the importance of defensive driving. I have told him to expect the unexpected when you are operating a car, because people will often do what they're not supposed to. Well, as we were leaving his school a little ways ahead I noticed a car in front of us was making a right hand turn so I said "slow down a little". It was a good thing he did because the driver of the other car did a u-turn right in front of us and never bothered to look our way until we were right on top of her. He slammed on the brakes and we stopped just a foot or two from her driver's side door. A close call for sure, and a lesson learned for him.
What would have happened if I would not have been in the car with him? What would have happened if he didn't listen to my warning to slow down? Who knows? But it probably wouldn't have been pretty.
One of the greatest things about having the Lord in your life is that He is always right beside us, instructing us and keeping us from harm if we will listen to Him and obey his commands. Life throws out a lot of unexpected things our way, we need God.

No comments: