Thursday, April 27, 2006

Leaders are Learners

Leaders are Learners!
I don't know if Rick Warren actually coined that phrase, but it's one that has stuck with me. I really think one of the key attributes of a great learner is not only their capacity to learn, but their willingness to learn.
I thought what I would do for the next couple of blogs, is to mention some of the ways I learn.
There are alot of ways to learn, but one of the ways that has helped me the most has been to visit other churches and see first hand what they are doing. Seeing would include:

1. Seeing an actual service--- I try to schedule times each year where I take a Sunday or two off and intentionally go to other church services. I have the advantage of being within a couple of hours of some great churches.
When I visit, I try to observe every aspect. From the moment I pull into the driveway until I leave, I am taking mental notes. I always try to maximize my time. I will usually plan to visit two churches every time. For instance a couple of months ago I took a Sunday and visited Mountain Lake Church's early service, and then I drove to Chestnut Mountain Church for their second service. Another time I drove to Northpoint Church for their early service and on the way back I hit Crossroads Church for their second service.
Generally, my goal is to visit churches that are larger than ours. (Don't underestimate what you can learn from any church---even if they are smaller!)
While many of the things these churches are doing may not work in your context, there are transferable principles that will work anywhere.
If I am on vacation, I always make it a point to visit a church in the area that I am traveling to. I will usually go online to Willowcreek's Willownet and use their "Find a church" function to look them up.
A couple of weeks ago I got a chance to go to Palm Beach Gardens Christ Fellowship
I grew up in Palm Beach Gardens, so I am down that way a couple of times a year. This church is making a huge impact in a very unchurched area. I think they run about 10,000 in attendance, and they have recently gone multi-site. The Pastor, Tom Mullins was a football coach at my High School. He is a dynamic leader. John Maxwell is also a teaching Pastor there.
Whatever you do, you owe it to yourself (and your church) to see firsthand what others are doing.
In my next blog I will share the 2nd way that I learn.

No comments: