Monday, May 01, 2006

Leaders are Learners (part 2)

Another method of learning that has helped me become a better leader is meeting with other leaders in person. I have found most Pastors/churches to be very helpful in making themselves available to mentor other churches. You may be surprised at how far buying a lunch for a Pastor will go.
Our church has benefitted greatly from meeting with churches like New Spring Church, Northstar Church, Marathon Church, Brookwood Church and Crossroads Community Church. They have rolled out the red carpet and it is incredible how much impact it has had.

If I read or hear about a church that may have already been where we are going, I don't hesitate to pick up a phone or email somone and ask if I can correspond with them or even schedule a staff road trip to hang out with their staff. I think I have only been turned down once or twice. My theory is, Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Since we began as a church, it has always been our heartbeat to be a resource for other churches, so we have tried to make ourselves available for churches too.
There really is no conference or seminar that can come even remotely close to the things you will learn meeting face-to-face.

No comments: