Sunday, May 28, 2006

taking a break

Today I got a little break from delivering the message. Our Pastor of Connections, Brian Marshall filled in for me. It's nice to have zero responsiblities on a Sunday every now and then.
Last week I actually got a chance to get a little bit ahead. I began working on a message in our new series, "RED" that starts next Sunday. It's a message series about Jesus parables.
For those of you who have the responsibility to prepare and deliver a message every single week, you know how tough it can be. There is probably nothing that drains you more. When that process begins to become a grind---it's time to take a break. In the early days of a church plant it feels like you can't take a break. For some reason most of us think that if we aren't up on stage, the world will stop spinning. Which of course only adds to the pressure. I am blessed to have other capable communicators on staff who can pinch hit for me so I can take a breather.
My goal is to speak 40 -42 Sundays a year. If you don't get a break once in a while your creativity will dry up. You will begin to feel like a sermon machine that pops out a sermon every 7 days, and let me tell you, that will take its toll on you. So do yourself (and your congregation) a favor---take a Sunday off!

No comments: