Monday, August 13, 2012

Sunday review

This was not what I would call a normal Sunday by any stretch of the imagination. As I mentioned in my last post, my father-in-law passed away in Virginia so I left on Friday to spend time with the family.
It was a bit of a whirlwind trip, as I got to Virginia on Friday afternoon and got home last night at about 1:00am. In case you're keeping score at home the trip is about 9 hours each way. So needless to say, we're a bit exhausted today.
The memorial service for my father-in-law was a beautiful time of remembrance of this great man. I was honored to be asked to give the eulogy. It is so hard to encapsulate someone's life down to around 15 minutes. I pray that my words honored him, and brought comfort to the family.
I was so proud of my wife and oldest son. They shared (along with other family members) how he had impacted them. It was a phenomenal service.

Between my vacation and the funeral, I have been away from preaching at Foothills Community Church for 4 Sundays in a row. That is the most Sundays consecutively I have ever been away. I am so proud of our staff and volunteers. They not only held ground, but took new ground in my absence!!

This Sunday I am preaching on one of my favorite chapters in the Bible. The message is called, The Secret of Success. You do not want to miss it. I am about to burst because I have been gone for so long. I promise not to preach for more than an hour :-)  (In case you're wondering, that last sentence was a joke..... kind of!)

The following Sunday we will begin a new series called, Be The Church. This series is going to be life changing, trust me.

One last thing. If you have never attended our Get in The Game Class, your next opportunity will be August 26th at both campuses. The class will tell you about Foothills' history, vision, values, and strategy. I will personally be leading the Seneca class and Pastor Brian Marshall will lead the Toccoa class. Free childcare and lunch will be served. You can sign-up today here.