Tuesday, August 07, 2012

I'm back

I haven't blogged much lately because I have been on vacation. I am home and am ready to get back to work.
Our usual summer vacation is a trip to Florida to stay with my parents. I also tow my boat down with us. We fished quite a bit (and caught quite a bit). The highlight was watching my son Cole catch his first sailfish. He did an awesome job handling the fish, and the sailfish put on quite a show.
My daughter Kristen wasn't quite as enthusiastic about fishing offshore. She found out after catching a bonito that it's a workout to reel them in.
My wife and I caught a bunch of dolphin (mahi-mahi) one morning about 12-15 miles offshore. That was a blast.
We also fished from the beach several times. The schools of bait stretched for miles along the beach, which meant there was some pretty good action. We caught a lot of fish, and did hook-up with a 50+ lb tarpon that got off, but not before going airborne several times.
I also got a chance to spend a lot of time with my parents. They are such wonderful people and great hosts!
Unfortunately just before we were scheduled to leave, we got a call from my wife's mother in Virginia letting us know that her Dad was in the hospital and fighting for his life. She booked the next flight out and got to Virginia to spend a little time with here Dad before he passed away. I will be leaving to go to be with them later this week.
It is humbling to have such wonderful friends. So many people calling or sending notes of encouragement. Thank you all so much. To top it all off, when I got home yesterday evening after driving for 11 hours, David and Jerod Ayers were at my house cutting my grass! I said, 'what are you doing?', he said, "I didn't want you to have to worry about cutting grass with all that is going on right now" Wow!
My father-in-law was a great man, and I will surely miss him.

Also, I am blessed to be able to get away and not worry while I'm gone. The staff at Foothills Community Church are the best in the world. Thanks guys!

Here are a few pics of my time away: