Tuesday, January 16, 2007

You have not because you ask not

I have always tried to learn from the wisdom of others. I did that when I was in the business world, and I continue to do that in the church world.
Many people are too proud to ask their peers questions because they want to seem like they've got it all figured out. I admit that I don't know everything.
In 2007 I have made a goal of trying to talk to as many Pastors of churches that are 2 or 3 levels ahead of where we are right now. The thought is that they have already been in my shoes and probably have some valuable insight to offer. There are probably some things that have worked well, and there are probably alot of things that haven't. I would like to hear about both. I have drafted a series of questions that I am trying to get answered from these men.
In January I emailed 9 different Pastors of churches that range in size from 1,600 to over 5,000.
I have heard back from 5 of those Pastors. I have spoken to 3 so far, and have 2 scheduled for phone conversations later this month. Most guys know what it's like to be in the trenches. They remember what it was like to be where we are, and are willing to take time out of their busy schedules to help. I believe God honors that.
They have been a wealth of knowledge. I will post some of my findings at a later date.
I have challenged my staff to do the same thing in their respective areas.
I will also try to continue to be a resource for other churches that have questions for us too.

No comments: