Tuesday, June 20, 2006

major kids event

We kicked off our Summer Sports Spectacular for kids, and it was fantastic! Hats off to my wife Liz who coordinated the entire thing. She has been putting in 16 hour days for weeks preparing for this event. I am so amazed by our people. We had probably 100 adult/teen volunteers there to help make it happen. We had music, drama, faith stories from Clemson University athletes and of course all kinds of sports. On day one we had around 250 kids. On Wednesday evening we will have a BMX group called Chaos on Wheels coming to perform. I can't wait to see them.
We have not had any sort of VBS type thing for the last 2 summers. I know that some parents couldn't figure that out. In the Bible Belt it's just expected that churches do VBS. If you lived here, your kids could probably go to VBS somewhere twice a day for the entire summer. We decided that if we were going to invest resources in something it needed to be something different from everywhere else. I've never been a big fan of doing something "just because everyone else does it"
If day one is any indication as to how the rest of the week is going to turn out---I'm pumped!

No comments: