Thursday, November 21, 2013

What's Your Excuse?

One of my favorite bumper stickers I have seen says, "Shut Up And Lift". I like that. Basically it's saying, quit making excuses,  just shut up and lift. 

Today I want to start a series of blog posts about why people don't exercise. I want to start with the #1 reason: "I don't have the time."

I have a very simple theory about life. Here it is: I will always find time to do the things I want to do.

One of the most common reasons (excuses) people give me about why they don't exercise is, "I don't have the time." This sounds like a pretty valid reason, I mean life is busy. we've got people to see and things to do. And there is a lot of truth to this, but let's test my theory. Suppose a friend called you to tell you they had tickets on the 50 yard line for the Super Bowl. Or Belks had a clearance sale with 99% off of every item in the store? Do you think you would find time to go to one of these things? Sure you would. You know why? Because we always find time to do the things we want to do.

Don't feel bad. We all struggle with this. I know I do. If my wife were to ask me to take the trash to the convenience center (that's a fancy name for the trash dump), I am pretty sure I wouldn't have time for that, but if I simultaneously got a call from a friend wanting me to go fishing, miraculously I would find the time.

So what does this mean to us concerning exercise? Simple. We need to prioritize our heath to the point where exercise is near the top. Better yet, we have to learn to like exercise. I know that sounds like an oxymoron for many people.... Like exercise? Yes, like it!

I have exercised in one form or another all of my life. But I was pretty much like everyone else. I would exercise when I had time. Which meant that my exercise was fairly irregular. But 2 1/2 years ago I made a commitment to work out at least 5 days a week, and I have kept that commitment ( I actually work out 6 days a week) It doesn't matter what's on my calendar, I will find a way to do my workout. If I go on vacation, I work out. If I'm tired, I work out. If I get home late, I work out.

You see, I have gotten to the point where I actually don't just "like" exercise, I LOVE IT! It's one of my favorite things to do. I don't always "feel" like working out, especially if I get home late and I'm exhausted, but I do it. Why? Because I always find time to do the things I want to do!

Let's be very honest. Are you taking care of your body and treating it like the temple of the Holy Spirit? Are you eating clean, and exercising enough?

If the answer was "no", why not start today?  Could you carve out 30 minutes of your day? That might mean that you have to set your alarm clock a little earlier, or make time after you put the kids down for the night. Or use your lunch break to take a walk.

You already know the benefits of exercise, better health, longer life, better quality of life, more energy, less sickness, etc.  So why not start today?

No comments: