Thursday, September 09, 2010

you've got what it takes

A Recent Gallup Poll revealed that only 10% of American church members were active in any type of personal ministry ---- 50 % had no interest--- 40% were interested but had never been asked or didn’t know how.

I want to address this blog post to the 40% that had never been asked or didn't know how.

You've got what it takes!
That's right. God has given you gifts and talents and abilities, that He can leverage to bring glory to himself and benefit others.

It can be a little intimidating to sign-up to serve for the first time.

Here's a good rule of thumb: Start somewhere!
I have told the story many times of my first experience of serving. I signed up to help with recreation at a church picnic. I had no prior church experience up to that point, but I had a desire to serve, I just didn't know what I could contribute. So on that Sunday afternoon I organized a few games for the kids. It wasn't much, but it was something. And you know what---- It felt great! I felt like I was a part of something bigger than myself.

Some time later, I tried serving in areas that didn't work for me (ie.. Children's ministry) and I tried some areas that did work.

Here's what I discovered. The more I served, the more connected I became to my church, and the more connected I felt to God.

We have over 600 people that serve at Foothills Community Church, which is great, but there are so many people that are just waiting for someone to ask them. So let me ask you, "would you be willing to serve?"

We'll help you figure out where you will fit best. We'll help you develop your gifts and abilities. We want you to thrive in your relationship with Christ, and I believe one of the most rewarding experiences of your life will be when you are serving Christ on a regular basis.

On October 3rd we will be having a ServeLink, where you will be able to see all of the opportunities and ask questions.

No comments: