Thursday, October 26, 2006

Smile more

I often hear horror stories of Pastor's who lead congregations that really don't appreciate the sacrifice he makes for them. I can honestly say that I have always felt loved and appreciated by my Church family.
This month is Pastor Appreciation Month. I have received many kind words, cards and nice notes, but one of the coolest things occured this week. A wonderful family in our church dropped by with a homemade cheesecake, and they brought their young daughter with them. She had a school paper to do about people who help others. Some of the students picked policemen, doctors, nurses, etc. She chose me. She brought me that paper. On the front she had colored a picture of a guy (I'm assuming it's me). There are a few other things in the picture. I think one is my table that I use to set my Bible, another appears to be a pair of glasses (one of the curses of being over 40), and a couple of other things (I'm not sure what they are). But the one thing that I love about her picture, is that I have a smile on my face! From her young perspective, she sees that her Pastor is happy. I have always tried never to preach angry.
I see many Pastors who seem angry. They preach with a scowl instead of a smile. They look like they don't really enjoy what they do, or the people who they do it with. The Bible is Good News!
Pastors, we have been called to spread the greatest message that has ever been told. Imagine that----we even get paid to do that!
If someone drew a picture of you, what expression would be on your face?
By the way. On the back of her picture she writes this. (I am writing it just as she did.) "Preachers tell pepol about Jesus and God in terch and Gods holeword and that is how preachers help pepol." (Here is the translation: Preachers tell people about Jesus and God in Church and God's Holy Word. And that is how Preachers help people") Don't you just love it!

No comments: